Ma Yuan’s Fiction Available in English Translation
Steven J. Venturino
April 6, 2012: aprofessorintheory.com
- See Kirk Denton’s bibliography at http://mclc.osu.edu/rc/bib4.htm.
- The most complete collection of Ma Yuan’s work is Ballad of the Himalayas: Stories of Tibet. Translated by Herbert J. Batt. MerwinAsia, 2012.
- Ma Yuan’s Stories have also been published in the journal, Manoa (vol. 15.2, 2003, and vol. 7.2, 1995), both available through JSTOR.
- Ma Yuan’s heartbreaking story, “Mistakes” (set in Liaoning rather than Tibet), translated by Helen Wang is included in The Lost Boat: Avant-Garde Fiction from China, edited by Henry Y. H. Zhao, (London: Wellsweep, 1993. 29-42).
- The delightful and very brief, “Little Zhaxi and His Load of Wonderful Thoughts,” translated by R. Tyler Cotton, is available at his website, rainboomstudio.wordpress.com.